Cat snacks and meals do not always have to be store-bought. You can give your cat a portion of the meal you cooked for yourself, provided that you know it’s safe for your pet. To help you decide, here are seven human foods that are safe for cats.
- Cats are naturally fond of a diet filled with fish.
- Fish are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and proteins that benefit a cat.
- Salmon is the most common type of fish that is fed to a cat. In fact, salmons are found in most commercial cat foods.
- While most foods can be given raw to your cat, it is better to cook salmon.
- Spinach is one of the healthiest human foods that are safe for cats.
- Spinach contains vitamins A, C, and K. It also contains calcium and iron.
- Before feeding your cat, ensure your cat does not have an ongoing case of or a history of calcium oxalate bladder stones.
- Whole grains such as oats, wheat, barley, and brown rice are replete with proteins.
- Many cats enjoy eating corn and polenta as they love the texture of these ingredients.
- Meals containing items such as brown rice and wheat berries need to be smashed into bits before feeding them to your cat.
- Eggs are another great source of protein and vitamin B for your cat.
- Similar to raw meat, raw eggs can harm your cat so cook them properly before giving them to your cat.
- Eggs are also common in many cat foods available in the store.
Vegetables and fruits
- Just like humans, most cats don’t seem to find vegetables and fruits appealing.
- However, similar to humans, these foods have the most benefits for cats.
- Fruits and vegetables are loaded with fiber and water, which aids in digestion.
- Ensure these foods are made soft by boiling or mashing so that cats can digest them easily.
- You can give them steamed broccoli, asparagus, or cucumber. It would be easier to slip them a veggie burger than to convince them to eat pure vegetables. Make sure these meals don’t contain onions or garlic.
- Cantaloupe is a great fruit for your cat as it contains loads of antioxidants and beta-carotene.
- Bananas, pumpkins, blueberries, and apples are other great fruit sources of rich and diverse nutrients.
- Turkey is a safe lean meat snack for cats.
- Like other poultry and fish, it is a great source of protein and one of the best human foods that are safe for cats.
- Bread is yet another human food that is safe for cats.
- It is a great source of protein and fiber that greatly benefits a cat’s digestive system and overall health.